The Rainbow Mountain of Peru
Rainbow Mountains One Day
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m / 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. Once we reach the Inkintuyoc bridge, we will have a fueling continental breakfast.
We then start off on our hike, following a lovely stream. You will be immediately surprised by literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We will stop for a deluxe box lunch along the trail.
Back on the trail, we encounter more of the traditional elements of this trek. This includes potato fields and unique fauna. We have the prospect of seeing chinchillas and vicunas. Vicunas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Peru. Many red mountains are also a highlight of this portion of the hike.
After a total hike of approximately 5 hours, we finally reach our destination, what we came to see….the Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5 hours. Our private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will embark on the 3 hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is between 8 and 9 PM.
- Meals: Continental Breakfast / Box lunch.
- Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft.
- Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft.
- Distance to walk: 15 km / 9 ¼ miles.
- Approximate walking time: 5 to 6 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging
- Professional Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more).
- Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
- Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Quesiuno.
- Return transportation from Quesiuno to your Cusco hotel.
- One continental breakfast, one deluxe box lunch.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
- Trekking poles – you can rent them from us.
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance.
Our trek rankings are the following